Full-Stack Engineer, Forests Program
Do you have a startup mentality, excellent technology development skills and want to be a part of a small, agile team working on some of the biggest environmental challenges facing humanity today? Global Forest Watch Pro is an open-access application to manage deforestation risk in commodity supply chains. The tool utilizes the best publicly available spatial data on forests gathered by the Global Forest Watch (GFW) partnership, which is convened by WRI but consists of more than 250 international partners. The GFW Commodities and Finance team works with leading commodity companies, financial institutions and academics to develop and implement new data visualizations and analyses that align company commitments and policies with better forests, water, land-use and social outcomes.
In this role, you will participate in all aspects of technology development and technology operational support for GFW Pro. You will report to the Sr. Full Stack Engineer, Forests Program and work closely with the rest of the team to develop innovative new features that solve critical sustainability problems for our customers. The initial focus of your work will be the design of a new integrated sustainability reporting feature for GFW Pro that will enable B2B sharing, upgraded near-real-time deforestation alert offerings, and sustainability reporting functionality aligned with global industry standards.
You will be part of a team that is responsible for all aspects of software development for GFW Pro including develop high quality, reliable, secure, highly available and scalable web-based applications The GFW Pro team prides itself on a collaborative, independent culture. The ideal candidate will be self-directed and self-motivated, and comfortable with changing circumstances. Mission alignment, and desire to work directly with influential supply chain actors to reduce deforestation is important.
This position is remote due to Covid-19, but you will be based at WRI’s office in either Sao Paulo or Porto Alegre Brazil once restrictions have lifted.
- Participate in the development of the GFW Pro product vision, strategy, and prioritization considering institutional priorities, and user needs, in coordination with GFW Pro Product and Engagement teams
- Participate in the prioritization of platform improvements and plan releases in coordination with GFW Pro Product Team and vendors as needed to optimize user experience, and address user needs and technical debt, while considering additional dependencies
- Continuously develop, test, and release new features of the GFW Pro platform
- Understand the customer through automation of the collection of user feedback, analytics and industry trends and translate into improved and new product features
Technology Operations Support
- Support the GFW Pro operational support by improving the onboarding experience and understanding trends in support requests
- Respond to, diagnose, and fix bugs, ensuring issues are not repeated, and coordinate with the GFW product team, GIS Team and external vendors, as needed
- Set up and maintain an automated system for collecting and reporting on key product metrics
- Participate in the response to incoming inquiries and questions on GFW Pro
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field is desired, relevant work experience in lieu of degree is accepted
- A minimum of 2 years of full-time work experience required
- Proficiency with the React/Redux ecosystem
- Proficiency with Express, AWS, SQL and no NoSQL databases
- Experience and desire to work with geospatial data systems
- Experience working across a matrixed team
- Demonstrated understanding of the product development lifecycle and creating user-friendly data interfaces
- Experience with Continuous integration and deployment
- Fluency in English and Portuguese
- Experience in data analysis and product development
- Fluency in Spanish or Bahasa is a plus
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit a resume with cover letter in English. Applicants must apply through the WRI Careers portal to be considered.
World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity and human well-being. We are working to address critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade in order to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean. WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices.
World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. We are working to address seven critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade in order to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean.
We are passionate. We value our diversity of interests, skills and backgrounds. We have a flexible work environment. And we share a common goal to catalyze change that will improve the lives of people. Our shared ideals are at the core of our approach. They include: integrity, innovation, urgency, independence and respect.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
We have been growing rapidly: our staff has doubled in size over the past 5 years and our operating budget is now $150 million. Founded in 1982, WRI has a global staff of 1,000+ people with work spanning 60 countries. We have offices in Africa, Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, and the United States as well as a growing presence in other countries and regions.
WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices.