Land Use, Agriculture and Forests Program Director
WRI Brasil seeks a Director for its new Land Use, Agriculture and Forest Program. The Director will be responsible for leadership, management, outreach, fundraising and scaling the anchor work on forest landscape restoration while broadening WRI Brasil’s work across sustainable food production and protection of native ecosystems. Meanwhile, paying close attention to essential issues related to equity, rights, good governance and land and natural resource tenure.
The position requires strong vision and experience, a strategic mindset, interpersonal skills, fundraising talent and knowledge of agriculture and forests and social issues, and how forests intersect with the economy, development, human wellbeing as well as climate change. In addition, the candidate should thrive operating in a diverse and results-focused culture. Ability to engage with multistakeholder processes including government, civil society, private sector and academia is strongly desired.
This is a challenging position that offers a unique opportunity to have a major impact on the Brazilian and the global environment and development issues.
The position is based in Brazil.
Strategy, Impact & Leadership
- Craft a strategy that allows WRI Brasil to continue to be a leader in the restoration sector while broadening WRI Brasil’s mandate to include broader land use considerations, including sustainable food production, protection of native ecosystems and other land use dynamics
- Develop a bold strategy that drives the national, subnational and international agenda, working closely with WRI’s Global and Latin American´s
- Keep the WRI Brasil s Land Use, Agriculture and Forests Program and its initiatives focused on critical issues and high-impact opportunities where WRI’s tools, analyses, and partnerships are value-add and can lead to real results.
- Work closely with WRI’s Global and country offices teams
- Ensure the strategy’s “theories of change” are robust and a monitoring/evaluation system is in place.
- Ensure WRI Brasil’s Land Use Agriculture and Forest Program has a compelling vision, strong research foundation, and coherent engagement strategy that provides social and environmental benefits.
- Ensure programmatic initiatives lead to transformative change in sustaining forest ecosystems and enhancing forests’ role in development, with special focus on decreasing inequality, climate change and sustainable land use.
- Foster a culture of excellence and diversity in all aspects of the Program.
- Inspire and engage the team of professionals to implement WRI Brasil strategy.
- Grow and manage the team, delegating authority, ensuring they are effective and supported, and ensuring planned deliverables and results are achieved.
- Oversee overall budgetary performance of the Program.
- Engage fellow WRI senior managers on institutional strategic and operational issues to advance the interests of the Program and of WRI as a whole, both nationally and internationally.
- Review draft publications, blogs, press releases, and other forms of high-profile communication being developed by Program staff to ensure they meet WRI’s high standards for quality.
- Serve on WRI Brasil´s management team.
- Serve as the primary “voice” of WRI Brasil´s Land Use Agriculture and Forests Program.
- Give presentations at public speaking events, national and international fora, one-on-one meetings, and within WRI.
- Lead/oversee research, write briefs, publish blogs and Op-eds,, and conduct media interviews and collaborate with communication and engagement strategies in order to set public and private sector agendas, influence decision-maker and key audiences perspectives, and communicate s Land Use Agriculture and Forests Program’s findings and recommendations.
- Communicate the Program’s findings and recommendations, internally at WRI at the Global and National and Subnational levels and to external audiences.
- In partnership with the Executive Director, Senior Development manager, and Global Development team, develop the fundraising strategy for WRI Brasil.
- Actively cultivate and manage relationships with existing donors, nationally and internationally, securing renewals.
- Identify and cultivate new donors to expand the Program’s funding base.
- Write fundraising proposals and refine those written by staff.
- Mentor staff to broaden their fundraising skills, help them manage existing fundraising relationships, and cultivate new funding prospects.
- Masters or PhD degree in the natural or social sciences with relevance to forests and agriculture is desirable.
- Minimum of 15+ years’ experience in fields relevant to forest conservation, sustainable agriculture/land use management, and restoration and 15+ years of program management and/or project implementation.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully motivate and manage large teams to reach their full potential and achieve on-the-ground results.
- Strong team player with ability to work across institutional departments/programs.
- Ability to manage effective partnerships with multiple actors (especially private sector).
- Proven ability to provide vision and superb strategic thinking skills.
- Demonstrated capability to secure funding from donors on a large scale.
- Outstanding ability to communicate clearly, passionately, and compellingly to a wide range of audiences, especially high-level decision-makers from government,the private sector, media and civil society.
- Proficiency in oral and written communications in English and Portuguese. (e.g., research briefs, blogs, proposals)
- Strong network of relationships and partners at the national and international levels
- Experience overseeing and managing budgets.
- Ability to travel, nationally and internationally, at least 25% of time.
- Flexible individual who can work independently, under minimal direction and supervision.
- Resourceful, ability to think out of the box, deal with ambiguous situations and come up with solutions where there are none apparently visible
- Ability to take solid decisions based on available information.
- Strong analytical and strategic thinking capabilities.
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW BEFORE APPLYING TO THIS POST
Deadline for Applications: until position is filled
English is required for day to day work. Candidates will be asked to submit CVs and will be interviewed in English.
We are committed to the principle of Equal Employment Opportunity for all employees, regardless of sex, marital status, nationality, religion, age, sexual orientation and any other characteristics unrelated to the performance of the job. Selection will be in accordance with objective, job related criteria and the appointment will be on the basis of applicant’s merits and abilities.
HOW TO APPLY
Qualified applicants may apply online at https://jobs.jobvite.com/wri/job/oRPDgfwj
Heidrick & Struggles will lead the selection process.
Interested candidates are invited to write a letter, explaining why you are qualified for the position and what your motivation to work for WRI Brasil is.
As we receive a large number of applicants for our advertised vacancies, we are unable to respond to those applicants who have not been shortlisted and we apologize for this in advance.