UX/UI Designer/ Product Team Member
In this role, you will join the GFW Pro Product Team to develop and sustain the GFW Pro platform, used by companies and financial institutions all over the world to monitor and manage deforestation within commodity supply chains since launching publicly in 2019. You will work closely with the product team, subject-matter experts, GIS and data researchers, and software engineers to design premium features for GFW Pro as we scale. The initial main focus of your work will be the design of a new integrated sustainability reporting feature for GFW Pro that will enable B2B sharing, upgraded near-real-time deforestation alert offerings, and sustainability reporting functionality aligned with global industry standards.
We also anticipate a portion of your time will be dedicated to other product-related responsibilities including user onboarding and operational support, user acceptance testing, usage analytics, and ongoing platform maintenance. You will be the first new member of our built out internal Product team and will have a hand in co-creating this team. Our primary coding languages are Python and NodeJS. Our tech stack includes AWS, Terraform, Github, Apache Spark, PostgreSQL and Linux. DynamoDB, ArcGIS, ESRI, Mapbox, Google Earth Engine.
This position will be based in our WRI Brazil office. You will have the option of being full time remote with periodic travel to São Paulo office or being based full/ part time in the WRI Brazil office.
User Experience/ User Interface Design
- Gather and evaluate user and technology requirements in collaboration with Product, Engineering, and Engagement teams for expanded reporting feature
- Illustrate design ideas using storyboards, process flows and sitemaps
- Design graphic user interface elements, like menus, tabs and dropdowns Build page navigation buttons and search fields
- Develop UI mockups, wireframes, prototypes, and visual designs that clearly illustrate how sites function and look, and how they will integrate with the existing GFW Pro UI
- Prepare and present rough drafts to internal teams and key stakeholders, iterate on presented designs based on team feedback
- Identify and troubleshoot UX problems (e.g. responsiveness)
- Conduct layout adjustments based on user feedback, product development roadmap, and industry best practices
- Adhere to style standards on fonts, colors and images
Product Development and Operational Support
- Conduct user interviews and usability tests, summarize responses, and share with matrixed team
- Understand user journey to identify pain points and propose design solutions
- Participate in user acceptance testing for all product releases and ongoing platform maintenance
- Respond to user support requests and work with Engagement team to onboard new GFW Pro accounts
- If interested, participate in data modelling for usage analytics to inform product development
- Support on other product development tasks as needed
- Bachelor's degree required
- Minimum 2 years of relevant full time experience required
- Knowledge of Adobe range of products including Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat and Dreamweaver
- 2 years of experience with HTML5 & CSS3
- 2 years of experience as an UI-UX Designer or similar role UI design portfolio Artistic eye for design
- Experience in Python and NodeJS. Our tech stack includes AWS, Terraform, Github, Apache Spark, PostgreSQL and Linux. DynamoDB, ArcGIS, ESRI, Mapbox, Google Earth Engine experience in any of these skills is preferred.
- Ability to think creatively
- Accuracy and attention to detail
HOW TO APPLY
Please provide a cover letter as well as three examples of your digital design work. Applicants must apply through the WRI Careers portal to be considered. Please submit the application in English.
WRI’s Forest Program works with governments, businesses, and civil society to sustain forests for future generations. We aim to curb deforestation worldwide and help restore and reforest already-cleared land. With these goals in mind, the Global Forest Watch (GFW) initiative makes the best available data for monitoring forests accessible online. By harnessing cutting-edge technology, GFW allows anyone to access near real-time information about where and how forests are changing around the world. Commodities & Finance Recognizing that the agricultural industry is essential for human well-being yet is often associated with tropical deforestation, GFW Commodities and Finance focuses on developing applied monitoring solutions for commodity supply chains. With the recent launch of GFW Pro and upcoming launch of GFW Pro Premium, companies, financial institutions and other entities can now securely monitor and manage for deforestation risk in areas they buy from or invest in. If you are looking for a role to apply your skills in Business Management that has a mission, you should consider this role. We are looking for a UX/UI Designer/ Product Team Member to take the GFW Commodities and Finance work towards our premium product set.
World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. We are working to address seven critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade in order to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean.
We are passionate. We value our diversity of interests, skills and backgrounds. We have a flexible work environment. And we share a common goal to catalyze change that will improve the lives of people. Our shared ideals are at the core of our approach. They include: integrity, innovation, urgency, independence and respect.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
We have been growing rapidly: our staff has doubled in size over the past 5 years and our operating budget is now $150 million. Founded in 1982, WRI has a global staff of 1,000+ people with work spanning 60 countries. We have offices in Africa, Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, and the United States as well as a growing presence in other countries and regions.
WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices.